This programme provides an opportunity to specialise in the field of electrical power. It builds on
a first degree in electrical/electronic engineering and explores how modern power systems from
drives to power distribution are designed and implemented. This programme develops technical
skills and knowledge at an advanced level, as well as developing the professional, analytical
and management skills of students.
This programme includes a major research project. Many of the projects reflect the key
interests of the Faculty, such as power electronics, renewable and alternative energy
systems. There is the opportunity for projects to be derived from our industrial links, and
a number are proposed by students, reflecting their own personal interests or
The aims of the programme are to:
- Provide an enhanced base of knowledge and current and reflective practice necessary
to initiate a career in electrical engineering at the professional level
- Enhance specialist knowledge in the area of electrical engineering which build upon
studies at the undergraduate level
- Further develop improved skills of independent learning and critical appraisal
- Develop an extensive insight into industrial applications and requirements
- Develop an extensive insight of management issues relating to engineering business
- Develop a comprehensive knowledge of leading-edge ICT tools and techniques in
- Provide the ability to progress to the next level of study.
Graduates can pursue a wide variety of opportunities exist for electrical power engineers in both the power supply sector and large industrial consumers.